PPPaint (aka Pixel Perfect Painter) is a new project I’m working on at home. It’s a pixel art drawing tool that will have some nice features (see below). Note that it still is a Work in Progress: most interface elements are only placeholders and many things still have to be implemented.
try the prototype now (no longer available), if you dare, no load nor save yet. Comments are more than welcome :)
- PPPencil — left click to paint, right click to pick color (this tool allows you to paint pixel perfect curves on the fly)
- Brush — left click to paint, right click to pick color (this is the classic Brush)
- Lines — left click and drag to draw a single line, left click (short) to draw multilines, right click to pick color
- Selection — left click and drag to draw a selection, then left click again to paint with this selection, right click to cancel
- CTRL-Z / CTRL-Y : undo / redo
- a huge focus on ergonomics: making drawing a pleasure is a top priority here. This means particles effects, many keyboard shortcuts, best use of left/right clicks and other tricks.
- a tool designed only for pixel art: the PPPencil (Pixel Perfect Pencil). See an explanation here.
- some long forgotten tools and ideas from Neochrome (Atari) and Deluxe Paint (Atari/Amiga), like the permanent magnifying glass.
- a combo system that allows you to save your [current tool + settings + color] in a shortcut (0-9), just like in Starcraft. You can recall this combo later by just pressing the corresponding number.
- you can copy your current selection in one buffer among 10, and recall it at any moment, easily.
- you can paint with your selection
- 2D grids, iso grids, seemless tile preview, plus many many other things…
Most of these are still on ToDo. But the idea here is to create something that is just super fast to use and 100% dedicated to pixel art.
Woah I love the right click zoom feature. Need a windows version fr.
Thanks for this. This is amazing! Couldn't wait to see it being released.
One more suggestion, adding a color palette would be great.
Hello, it's looks like a great tool.
It would be great to be able to draw squares with shape tool while holding shift-key.
Hi, this is looking and feeling great.
I hope you finish the software, I would use it for sure
Loving your work! I'm definitely looking forward to see it finished. But imho it's missing a feature I personally couldn't live without: pixel grid.
Keep up the good work!
DAMN, I'm totally into this. Can't wait to see native version :D
Btw write to me if you want little help with UI ;)
PS. I've just followed you on twitter ;)
are you using the immediate mode GUI technique for your UI here ? i noticed the FPS debug window and i was wondering (plus the particles and UI effects…)
P.S:You should think of another name, tho, 'cause PPPaint is quite confusing to say :)
Like Injured Pixel said, it's fantastic to have an artist do an art-focused program.
Looking forward to using the final version!
I just tested it with my tablet, it is already really good *__*
You even added some particle effects to the UI animations.. xD
Looking forward for the full version and hopefully a version with support for animations :P
Hey there, long time fan of your work.. will this tool be free? or are you taking it into the shareware market?? sounds like some great features.. fINALLY!! an art program written by an artist.. features that actually help instead of just SOUND GOOD.. everything on ur list to add to the program sounds immensely useful.. good luck and hope to see something demoable soon :)
Nice prototype, I think you're focusing on drawing but do you plan any animation feature like in asesprite ? Just a simple one with frame size and flipping would allow to make and tweek spritesheet easily
Thanks! I plan to add support for animations only if I'm 100% satisfied with the painting part :)